Proportion of Diabetes Mellitus in Koja Hospital

Suzanna Ndraha, Hervico Dwicahya Putra, Hervico Dwicahya Putra, Caesaredo Derza Polas, Caesaredo Derza Polas, Ratih Laura Sabrina, Ratih Laura Sabrina, Khairul Huda, Khairul Huda


Diabetes mellitus (DM) is one of the most common disease found in clinical practice in Koja General Hospital. According to the previous research, the prevalence of diabetes patients has never been investigated. Aim of this study was to find out the proportion of diabetes subjects hospitalized in Koja General Hospital.

This was a descriptive study with a cross sectional approach. Data was taken by consecutive sampling method from diabetes mellitus subjects aged more than 18 years who were hospitalized in the department of internal medicine Koja General Hospital in the period of August 20, until September 30, 2018.

The proportion of diabetes subjects in Koja General Hospital was 42% (155 patients) out of a total of 368 subjects. The age of diabetes subjects with the majority of elderly adults (26-65 years) as much as 84% (131 patients) of 155 diabetes subjects. Gender were dominated by woman as 59% (91 patients) out of a total of 155 subjects and the remaining men were 41% (64 patients). The most frequent indication of treatment in diabetes subjects is chronic kidney failure (CKD) as much as 22 patients (14.2%).

The proportion of diabetes subjects who were hospitalized was 42% (155 people) of a total of 368 subjects.


Koja General Hospital, Diabetes Mellitus (DM), proportion

Full Text:



American Diabetes Association 2018. Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2018. Diabetes Care 2018 Jan; 41(Supplement 1): S13-S27. Available from

Corsino L, Dhatariya K, Umpierrez G 2017. Management of Diabetes and Hyperglycemia in Hospitalized Patients. [Updated 2017 Oct 1]. In: De Groot LJ, Chrousos G, Dungan K, et al., editors. Endotext [Internet]. South Dartmouth (MA):, Inc.; 2000. Available from:

Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia 2016. Laporan Hasil Riset Kesehatan Dasar Indonesia tahun 2016. Jakarta : Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan Depkes RI; 2016.

Koo BK, Moon MK 2016. Are We in the Same Risk of Diabetes Mellitus? Gender- and Age-Specific Epidemiology of Diabetes in 2001 to 2014 in the Korean Population. Diabetes Metab J. 2016 Jun; 40(3): 175–181. doi: [10.4093/dmj.2016.40.3.175] Available from:

Kufeldt J, Kovarova M, Adolph M, Staiger H, Bamberg M, Häring HU, Fritsche A, Peter A 2017. Prevalence and Distribution of Diabetes Mellitus in a Maximum Care Hospital: Urgent Need for HbA1c-Screening. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2018 Feb;126(2):123-129. doi: 10.1055/s-0043-112653. Epub 2017 Jul 27. Available from:

National Diabetes Statistics Report 2017 Estimates of Diabetes and Its Burden in the United States. Available from:

Philips, et al 2018. Chronic Kidney Disease of Diabetes. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. Canada (2018) p : 5201-5209.

Punthakee Z, Goldenberg R, Katz P Definition, Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes, Prediabetes and Metabolic Syndrome 2018. Diabetes Canada Clinical Practice Guidelines Expert Committee 2018 Clinical Practice Guidelines. Can J Diabetes 42 (2018) S10–S15. Available from url

Subekti I, dkk. 2012. Penatalaksanaan Diabetes Melitus Terpadu. Jakarta 2012 : Balai Penerbit FKUI. 2012 : 245.

Umpierrez GE, Pasquel FJ 2017. Management of Inpatient Hyperglycemia and Diabetes in Older Adults. Diabetes Care 2017 Apr; 40(4): 509-517. Available from:

Wung, et al 2011. Complication of Diabetes on Hospital. Chinese Medical Journal. Guangzhou (2011) p : 21-27.



  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2019 YARSI Medical Journal

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.


Copyright of Jurnal Kedokteran YARSI.

Powered by OJS.

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial 4.0 International License.